Specialist - Network Engineering
|Position:||Specialist - Network Engineering|
|Reports To:||Director, Network Engineer|
Candidate should be mature, collegial, self-motivated, extremely well-organized and detail-oriented, able to function under pressure and handle numerous tasks simultaneously. The position would be well-suited to a candidate who thrives in a fast-paced environment and is meticulous. S/he must be able to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Participates in the planning, designing, implementation, installation, testing, supporting and maintenance of the network;
- Responsible for network system quality assurance and must be consistent with installation standards and project development methodology;
- Assists in preparing project budgets and unit budgets;
- Obtains quotes and assists in the preparation of proposals for network equipment;
- Must be able to create and maintain the configuration and procedural documentation for accuracy and usability;
- Must be able to develop [improve] and implement efficient network utilization strategies, as well as implement operation/deployment/security standards;
- Assist in the installation of equipment and cables;
- Maintain a secure platform for internal and external systems by reviewing and replacing at-risk and EOL equipment;
- Provide operations monitoring and reporting systems for all network environments.
- A working knowledge of network security models which include HSMs, encryption, authentication, key management and cryptography.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Strong and effective troubleshooting skills including:
- layer 1 (copper cabling troubles / fiber signal strength);
- layer 2 (spanning tree, vlan tagging, mac address tracing);
- layer 3 (routing troubles, EIGP, BGP, RIP);
- layer 4 (firewall troubles);
- layer 5 thru 7 (assisting with identifying application issues masquerading as network issues);
- Solid understanding of EMC Symmetrix storage product line.
- Working knowledge of storage protocols such as FC, FCoE, iSCSI, NFS.
- Understanding of SRDF/S and SRDF/A.
- Hands-on experience working with Cisco MDS series switches.
- Hands-on experience working with Cisco routers and switches including Nexus products;
- Proficient with Microsoft Office & Visio documentation/diagramming;
- Strong understanding of network performance monitoring tools, such as Cisco Prime, SolarWinds, OpManager or IBM Tivoli;
- Must be able to use packet analyzer and evaluate the data, such as Wireshark.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Operating Systems.
- Thorough understanding of TCP/IP, HTTP, SSL and DNS Protocols.
- Solid understanding of IT Security best practices with extensive knowledge of firewalls. Includes installing, configuring and supporting firewalls - Checkpoint and Cisco.
- Ability to develop and maintain scripts using Visual Basic, Python and Secure CRT;
- Hands-on experience with multiple virtualization technologies, including VMWare and VMware NSX;
- Expert hands-on knowledge with latest cloud computing technologies;
- Strong understanding of the virtualization, cloud computing and systems management industry (including competition and customer needs/gaps).
- Working knowledge of wireless network, including access point, controllers and wireless management.
- Working knowledge of auditing, hardening standards and compliance of networks and network devices.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require standing and walking.
- The working environment is generally favorable.
- Lighting and temperature are adequate, and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
- Work is generally performed within an office environment, with standard office equipment available.
- A letter of interest describing your experience and interest in the position
- Your resume
- Names and contact information of three references, or three letters of reference
* Please submit a single application per position.